Today in the UK, it is Mother’s Day, so I’ve spent the day showering my mother in gifts and giving her the special treatment because she is truly wonderful and deserves it. But this then got me thinking about a few of my favourite fictional mums and I thought I would share a few of them with you. Feel free to leave a comment letting us know who your favourite fictional mums are!
- Mrs Wealsly in Harry Potter – She’s the mother of seven pretty fantastic children, surrogate mother to Harry, and a member of the Order of the Phoenix, Mrs Weasley is tough, loving, and fiercely protective. It’s basically impossible not to love her.
- Mrs Lancaster in The Fault in our Stars – Despite my views of this book, Hazel’s mum definitely deserves a place on this list due to everything she does for her daughter, she’s always there for her and makes every day and celebration special.
- Natalie Prior in Divergent – I don’t want to spoil it for those who haven’t read this series yet but although she many not look like much she’s certainly a strong woman who will do anything to protect her family.
- Jocelyn Fray in The Mortal Instruments – I’ve seen mixed feelings about Jocelyn as a mother as she did block Clary’s memories but she did it to protect her child and most of her actions and decisions are made to protect Clary, so I think she deserves a place on the list!
- Miss Honey in Matilda – She is the only adult to see Matilda’s true potential, nurturing her when no one else will. She is patient and caring, as any parent should be, urging Matilda to never stop learning or dreaming. Most importantly, she also encourages Matilda’s fledgeling love of books, and for that alone, I felt that Miss Honey deserved a place on the list.
- Elizabeth in Life on the Refrigerator Door – If you haven’t read this book then seriously stop what you’re doing and go and pick it up. This short novel is written in notes left on the refrigerator door and will take you on a journey of emotion. Clare’s mother does everything for her despite her situation and the relationship between them is beautiful even though it may not seem like it in the beginning.